Thoughts On My Mother

I would not be here without her. She's like breath. Without her, there is no me.

She's the funniest person I know.

She doesn't understand technology.

She creates words and phrases all the time. She doesn't mean to. We laugh about it.

We love sitting on the front porch and talking.

We take our television shows very seriously.

She loves to decorate. Her style is shabby chic.

She has impeccable taste.

Her eyes give her away. I can look at them and tell everything she is feeling.

She loves singing along to Maroon 5's "Sugar" and Bruno Mars's "Uptown Funk"

She loves our dog more than life itself, probably even more than me!

Her hair smells like Herbal Essences shampoo.

Her love is unconditional.

My father's death made us closer. I am her. She is me. That's how close we are. There's no separation.

She can strike up a conversation with anyone.

She's tougher than she thinks, but she's so beautifully tender.

After she kisses me on the cheek, sometimes I don't wipe away her lip gloss. I keep it on all day.

I love to hear her laugh.

Her smile is a blessing.

When I start saying I'm a failure, she tells me to be quiet. She won't listen to it.

We have so many inside jokes that nobody else understands.

Her own mother is dead. I don't know how she lives without her. I cannot live without my mother.

I fear losing her. I can feel the love in my chest where it grows and throbs and it seems like I might die of it.