Nicole Kidman on Losing Her Father

While promoting her latest film, Before I Go to Sleep, Nicole Kidman appeared on the Ellen DeGeneres Show and spoke about the recent death of her father. She credited her husband, Keith Urban, with helping her to survive the ordeal. She also spoke about the reality that, in our society, we shy away from talking about death but connecting with other people can actually be very beneficial and make us feel less alone.

Nicole Kidman is an actress I admire. Several of her films--primarily The Hours and Birth--have profoundly affected my life. When I heard that her father died, I was saddened. The truth is, any time I hear that a woman has lost her father, a pain goes through my body because I know that she will never be the same and will have to find her own way of grieving and living with the loss.