Dar Williams - Family

Over the past seven years, I've listened to many songs about loss, but none have moved me quite like "Family", which is interpreted with such emotion and fragility by the folk singer Dar Williams. It is no surprise that, this morning, I woke with the song in my head. I am reminded of the power of music to soothe us in ways that no other art can. After the Newtown shootings, Dar Williams performed this song at a tribute concert for the victims. She was joined by Francine Wheeler, whose son, Ben, was killed in the attack. As the two women sang on stage together, the audience was visibly overwhelmed by the sight of a mother expressing her grief and sorrow in such a raw and vulnerable way. But that's how some of us cope with loss: by sharing it with others, conveying the pain through music or words or any other artistic medium. Each loss is unique and grief is deeply personal, but it's important to create community, to reach out, to forge connections and let others know they are not alone. For me, that's what art does, that's why it matters and that's why we need it now more than ever.






Can you fix this? It's a broken heart. 
It was fine, but it just fell apart. 
It was mine, but now I give it to you, 
Cause you can fix it, you know what to do. 

Let your love cover me, 
Like a pair of angel wings, 
You are my family, 
You are my family. 

We stood outside in the summer rain, 
Different people with a common pain. 
A simple box in that hard red clay, 
Where we left him to always remain. 

Let your love cover me, 
Like a pair of angel wings, 
You are my family, 
You are my family. 

The child who played with the moon and stars, 
Waves a snatch of hay in a common barn, 
In the lonely house of Adam's fall 
Lies a child, it's just a child that's all, crying 

Let your love cover me, 
Like a pair of angel wings, 
You are my family, 
You are my family.